Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Fargo Water

My friend told me not to drink the water today. I am really thirsty so I am sipping away when she sends me this. I think I may puke.

Water is safe… but I have issues with the decaying vegetation in it.

City officials also dispelled rumors that drinking water in Fargo and Moorhead is unsafe to consume because of an earthy taste and odor.

Fargo water treatment plant operator Mark Peterson said the smell and taste is caused by geosmin, a byproduct of decaying vegetation that’s detectable in parts per trillion. The cities deal with it every spring, but it’s worse this year. Still, all other tests are normal and the water is safe to drink, he said.

“It’s just such a strong taste and odor, it’s going to be tough to get rid of, I think, until the rivers go back to normal,” he said.