I had a great Birthday weekend.
Saturday, Instead of moping I decided to invite my grandparents out to their old Steakhouse for dinner. I told them to invite whoever they thought would be interested. So I thought I'd have just the Saxes (My grandma and grandpa on my moms side), and the Bests (My grandma, my uncle, and my aunt), then Darin's Family (Brother, Sister, Mom, and Dad) show up.
Turns out I had quite a turn out! I felt special. It was very nice. My aunts and uncles from both sides of the family came out. I think we had a table of about 25. So we all sat around and ate and talked. It was fabulous, and good for my soul.
Then my uncle, cousin, and aunt were going to go out to one of the bars, so Darin, his brother, and I met them there. So then I got toasty. Which was doubly fun! ;o)
On Sunday, (My actual birthday) Darin gave me my present. It was a radar detector. Which was hilariously ironic becuase I was stopped driving in on Friday night for speeding. Doing 72 in a 55. It was great. I had told him a while ago that I wanted one, or at least wanted to steel his. So I was excited that he had gotten me one. Looking back though, he should have given it to me the week before when he bought it! ha!
Darin's mom had us over for dinner (which to us city folks is really lunch). She made chicken and all the stuff that goes with it. It was awesome. I somehow managed to not stuff myself silly. Then we were going to go bowling with some of my cousins from the night before, but Darin decided he should get some stuff out of the field since it was so nice. So I wound up hanging out with him on the Combine and driving grain trucks back and forth to the elevator. The best part of the evening was when we were finishing up with the trucks and about ready to come home when we noticed the sky. The northern lights were out something fierce. Not only were they shining bright. They were dancing around, fading in and out and making shapes. There were these huge rays coming down out of the sky, they looked like they were coming from heaven. (or possibly alien UFOs coming to snatch our bodies. Its a toss up.) I can't believe how far those beamed stretched, or how bright those lights were. They were just amazing.
Darin and I didn't get home until about 8:00. I usually start heading back to the cities at 6:00 which gets me here by 9:00 if I don't stop. I really didn't feel like leaving, and neither did Darin, so we decided to go to bed early and I'd get up at 3:00 am to head home. So I was up this morning at 2:45 heading home. The morning drive actually wasn't too bad. I can't see myself doing that every time I go to Wheaton, but at least it's do-able. I got home around 5:45 and decided that I'd nap for 15 minutes, then when my alarm clock went off I thought, "I don't need to go in at 7:30", and hit the snooze. So I didn't get into the office today until 8:30. I feel great! It was a good weekend.