Monday, December 20, 2004

This Fabulous 5 Degree Weather

So I head out to work this morning. Pull out of my nice tuck under garage, and hear this "ticky ticky ticky sound". I realize that it is freezing rain hitting my windshield. Now, I must admit. I sort of felt like it was an old friend of mine that I have missed. Why you might ask? Well, because whenever it is cold in Texas, this is what happens. The crap always freezes when it hits something solid, therefore making for a wonderful clusterf*#ck on our highways. So I had no worries. I have driven in the freezing rain several times in Texas. Although it is no picknic because you have to beware of all the idiots on the road, but I have always handled my car pretty well.

So off I go to work. While driving out of my apartment parking lot, I slide a little, and my Traction Control light on my car goes off. AFTER I have slid. So obviously that warning light is useless. Then I get out onto the main street. (Luckily, I don't have to take the freeway to work). I'm sitting at the light, waiting to turn left, and watching these trucks and cars fish tail through the intersection, and I think to myself. This is going to be the longest drive to work I've had so far here! Plus, we'll see how well I fare driving this automatic car that I have. (For those of you who don't know, I have always driven a stick shift, and I am used to being able to shift to wherever I want to whenever I want to. So driving an automatic, I'm not sure how I'm going to fair.)

I actually do pretty well. Of course I hit every stupid red light there, so I got to practice starting up on ice everytime too. I got to work safely, and now all I have to do is sit here and worry about how many people are going to slide around in that ice slicked parking lot, and possibly slam into parked cars. So I'm sitting here crossing my fingers and praying that noone hits my car. I can't afford to have a messed up car. Plus, I like my car just fine the way it is! Man I miss the fabulous parking garage of Pier 1.