Monday, April 02, 2007

Oh My.... Where to Begin

My MIL, who is religious, sent me this email forward today. This is what happens to people who live in bubbles for most of their lives.

Subject: How the Phone Should be Answered

Good morning, welcome to the United States of America .

Press "1" for English.

Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English

And remember only two defining forces have ever

offered to die for you, Jesus Christ

and the American Soldier.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I'm so offended and appalled by this email that I don't even know where to begin. I know. I'll start with my "reply to all" that I send back after reading this type of crap.

"I have two great grandparents that came her from Poland. I have a Grandmother and her brothers who also traveled here from other countries. My great grandparents never learned English. They came here to give their families a better life. I am here because of them. I am sure most of you have a similar story of family immigration. I ask that you all think twice before jumping quickly to judgment to those that are immigrating here in modern times. Every single person that is here in America today, comes from somewhere else.

I don't believe that Jesus would agree with this form of out casting people who are different than us, for our families too, were once new to this country. I for one feel very lucky to be born an American so I don't have to experience the terrible things that those in other countries experience on a daily basis. I thank God daily for the good fortunes that I have. Instead of out casting people that I don't understand because of a language, I choose to look at myself and ask "What can I do to help them learn and experience the things I love so dear about this country?"

The next time it bothers you that someone doesn't speak English, think of your own ancestors and how hard it must have been for them to learn a whole new culture. I for one would never slam the phone down on my Great-grandfather just because he doesn't speak English!"

I didn't bother to get into these points:

1. You don't even know if this "non-English speaker" is in the process of learning English. Maybe they are, and if you slammed the phone down on them, you aren't very Christian for trying to help a fellow child of God out.

2. Since when did God say it was alright to be your own judge?

3. Since when did God say it was alright to hold yourself of a higher standard than those around you?

4. Unless your ancestry is indigenous to this land, you too are an immigrant that spoke an language other than American English at one point in time.

5. JESUS DIDN'T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH! So does that mean that the sender of this email would hang up on Jesus?!

6. Jesus didn't live in AMERICA, so why would he favor America over all other lands?

7. If Jesus and American Soldiers are the only ones willing to give up their lives for me, then how do you explain all the other races of mortalities that are reported on the news daily? It sure seems that there are more than American's loosing their lives for a cause they feel strongly about.

I could go on for a long time. But I won't because I'm at work, and it could take me all day. I really wish I would have put point 5 & 6 in my response though. But I sent it off before it got too long, and before my blood started to boil over.