Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Gettin' Settled & Startin' Work

So I'm trying to get settled in this crappy transit city. I don't know what the hell the city planners were thinking when they planned and built the roads, but none of them work as they should. Anyone who has ever complained about Dallas' traffic has got to get a life. On my first Day of work it took me an hour and ten minutes to get to work. Now, granted I my aunt's house, with whom I'm staying, is on the southeast part of the city, and Wilsons Leather is on the Northwest part of the city. BUT STILL! Today it did only take me 45 minutes so I guess that's not so bad. So I'll shut up.

Now let's talk weather. I believe it is going to snow soon. It has rained for like 4 days straight. So much so that I thought that perhaps I moved to Seattle somehow by accident. Today it is supposed to be 55 degrees! I repeat 55 Degrees! Is this winter? How did I go so wrong? What did I do to my spoiled little life in Fort Worth? I don't know what I'm going to do. Everyone here is running around in open toe shoes, and I want to put on my wool coat and mittens.

Work. Let me tell you about work now! OH MY GOD! First. The atmosphere is "business casual". So naturally, I think dress pants, skirts and such. Apparently in this industry that is not what it means. I showed up to work yesterday (my first day) in a cute black linen skirt with red embossed flowers on it, and a knit top. (To me, somewhat dressed down, because I didn't want to appear too stuffy.) So here I go. Thinking I'm a little under dressed, but still appropriate and cute. I walk in and the HR manager is looking more like casual Saturday. You know, laying around the house wear. Then I am shuffled down to my department where my new boss is wearing (I think jeans, I don't remember) and a black leather Wilsons baseball cap. Her hair is pulled through the back hole like women do on the weekends to hide their bed-head. All the girls I met yesterday were wearing jeans (even though they were designer) and casual (yet fashionable) tops. Most of them had cute stiletto shoes on too. So, apparently, "business casual" in the Wilsons Leather world means jeans all week long. I'm pretty curious to see what they show up wearing on Friday. Maybe their pj's. ;o) So.... I guess I now need to go shopping for some seven jeans or better. Any reason is a good reason to go shopping isn't it? Of course it is!

All the people here are young looking. The two buyers for my department look like they are my age. I think I may have seen all of two people that may or may not be over the age of 40. So that is very cool. They are having a happy hour on Thursday that I'm excited about, and later in the month they are doing a boat trip DURING THE WORK DAY on Friday starting at 1:00. They are also supplying us with 2 drink coupons. So I am hoping the social atmosphere is much better than that of P1. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes! I wish I had my Cesar here so he could go with me so I don't feel like a loser. But oh well, I guess I need to break my Cesar umbilical cord. :o)

Let's see, what else should I write about? I don't know really. There is so much to talk about. This weekend there is a Dumont (the town of 200 next to Wheaton) Street Dance so I will have to head out directly after work on Friday to make it there by 9:00pm. It should be fun. Basically there is live music and everyone walks around the street drinking. One fabulous thing about small towns is that the alcohol is cheap! Who doesn't love that! Then on Sunday we have our boring reception. I hope that everyone gives us money, because I have no more room for kitchen supplies.

I better run now, the girl who is training me just showed up. A size 4 (if even that) 16 week pregnant Russian girl who is leaving me on my own next week to go on vacation in Russia.