This weekend I decided to learn to water ski. Let me tell you, I don't think I've laughed so hard at myself in a very long time. From the second I jumped into the sub-zero temperature lake (actually, it wasn't so bad once I was in for a while) I should have known it was going to be a very long and tiring day.
Who would have known that putting on water ski's in water would be so hard to do? I think it took me a good 20 minutes to finally get the skis on. Then I had to figure out how to sit there in "the skiers position", that took me probably another 20 minutes. Meanwhile my husband and his sister are sitting in the boat laughing their butts off at me because I can't get my left foot to hold the ski up correctly. And I'm choaking on water, and laughing at myself. I don't think I have ever felt so vulnerable in my whole life. I couldn't do anything well.
So I finally figure it out, and it's time for me to try to ski. Right? Well, the first try was a horrible bust. I'm not sure how much water I swallowed, but I am pretty sure the lake is a couple inches lower than is was before I started. The second time I did a little better - At least I didn't suck down a bunch of water. I almost got up, but then I did the splits, and fell over. My legs this morning by the way are killing me. I can barely walk without feeling pain in my thighs.
So then I continued to try, determined to get up on these damn skis. Stupid sport. But I was determined. Needless to say, many many MANY trys later, I still had not succeeded in getting up completely. Even though I did come close several times. I finally gave up with a I fell backwards and I was seriously worried that when I found my left ski that my foot and ankle would still be in it.
So I gave up before I seriously killed my pathetic self. But not before I vowed not to give up next time until I at least get completely up for a second or two. At least it was fun, and my husband and his sister can feel like they are professionals all because of me. Who cares that every bone and muscle in my body is sore today, and I'm walking like a geriatric patient. Who knew that learning a water sport would be so humbling? ;o)