Friday, August 03, 2007

Annoying White People

White people up here are so annoying up here.   They pretty much butcher any spoken language that isn't English. Actually, I can't even really give them all that credit, because the truth is, if it's not a word that they use all the time, then they will butcher the crap out of it.  Most of the time, they don't even acknowledge that they are pronouncing it wrong.  (Usually, I'm so embarrassed if I am using a word I don't know how to pronounce that I say something like, "I don't know how to say this, but..."  or "blah blah blah, or however you say that."  I think most of you've heard me do this.) They don't even try to pronounce it the right way, even when someone uses the word correctly.  Here are a couple examples.
 
Kashi.  How do you pronounce that?  KAH-she  right?  Up north, it's called KAY-SHE, or Ku-SHE, or any other way you can make those letters sound other than the way the company pronounces it.
 
I mentioned how great the Kashi brand of products was to my MIL one day.  I introduced it to  her as KAH-she.  She said she saw it in the store one day, and in the same conversation of me pronouncing it KAH-she, she called it KAY-SHE.   Whatever. I called it KAH-she a couple more times while we talked about it, but she won't get it.  It's forever engrained in her head as KAY-SHE.
 
Another one I have issues with is "Pico de Gallo".  That's Peeko-day-GUY-oh right? Nope, you're totally wrong.  It's Pick-O-day-GaLLow.  As in, we took him to the gallows to rot.  This one bugs me so much.
 
I was at Qdoba today (that's another one.  it's QUE-DOE-Buh.  right?  Nope.  It's Ki-doe-bay or Ki-do-buh here.)  Anyway.  The chick behind me orders Pick-O-day-GaLLow.  The server says, "Peeko-day-GUY-oh ?", The chick says, "Pick-O-day-GaLLow please."  Now, I really want to know whether or not she thought her word was something different than the servers word?  Like the server was trying to give her something else, and she for sure as heck didn't want any of that guy-O crap.  "yulk."  But that Gallow stuff!  That's pretty tasty.
 
I for one, would sure as heck not want anything from the Gallows.  Especially anything that could be eaten.  It'd probably consist of something bones and something flesh.  Yikes!