Tell me if this isn't a good example of living in your own technicolor dream world?
Note: convos have been truncated to keep you interested.
Convo1: (Ok. I'm too busy to find the original, but here is the gist)
her: I want family pictures, my unibrow boyfriend can take them. Let me know your thoughts.
me: I'm fine with that so long as it is the four of us, minus Unibrow and DJ since I'm prego (and Unibrow isn't even part of the family yet- didn't say that part, expecting her to figure it out.) Otherwise, I'd much rather wait til next year.
her: OK. That's fine, let me know what you're going to wear.
Convo 2: (exactly as original)
Me: OK. My color choices so far are lavender, grey, or black. Very likely will wind up being lavender for me.
Do mom and dad know about our plans? (didn't mention it in the last email) Will we plan to do that on Thursday night after supper? (Maybe we better do it before we eat so we don't look fat.) I'm fine with doing a "just the four of us" picture. Because after this year, it's really not going to be the four of us anymore. Technically, that's already happened with me getting married, but DJ doesn't care if he's not in the photos this time around. He understands that we don't have a "just the four of us" picture. And after April, something tells me no one is going to care if DJ and I are in the pictures anymore anyway. Maybe we can make mom and dad sit in front of us to hide my fatness too?
----here comes the crazy----
her: What color would DJ wear? Unibrow doesn't have anything that's purplish, but he does have a few nice black shirts. Me, I'm sure I have something in the lavender family, so we could go with black, white, and lavender. And yes, I have already devised a plan to hide your tummy in the photo.
me: I thought we were just doing pics of you me dad and mom? So no DJ and Unibrow (I'm calling him Uni from here on out).
her: Well, I figured we could first do us (you, me, Mom, and Dad) and then do another with the four of us and then toss in DJ and Uni, plus one of each couple individually. What do you think? Too much?
Convo 3: (edited)
me: ...I'd much rather have pictures of my family including the one in my belly. The main reason being: Its not like we're going to have permanent pictures done every year, so I'd much rather just wait until the baby is out.
And for a secondary reason... I'm sure you'd feel the same way if it were reversed: I don't really think it's fair to DJ to do a "family" picture with "the boyfriend", since he's not yet married in. (Boyfriends are removable. Even the live in type you know.) I have been wanting a family picture with me, you, mom, dad and DJ, but since I didn't want to offend you by excluding Uni., I haven't asked for it. I don't want DJ to see some framed picture on the wall that's being considered a "family" picture, with someone who hasn't made the same commit he has. I can't really explain what I'm talking about, but I think there is something to be said for those that are permanent members of the family, and those who are not yet. I also don't want to take a set with and without Uni, and ask mom and dad to frame and hang the without version. So therefore, I am voting against the including Uni and DJ altogether to avoid conflict. It's either DJ only, or none at all for me. (PS, this is another reason for my reason number one. Because maybe by next year Uni will be permanent and this will no longer be an issue.)
Then I got serveral emails ranting on about how Uni is a good photographer and how he has all he needs to take a good photo. I have at least 3 of them telling me that.
My secret response: "OK. Dont really care.... BUT can he refrain from picking his nose with his pinky finger and sliding what he finds around on his finger for more than every other 5 minutes?"
OK. So verdict? Who's the crazy?
PS. Ain't no way in HELL I'm taking a family photo with some boyfriend that if he were smart enough would run away screaming while he still can! It's bad enough I have to buy the guy Christmas gift when we get together for our "family" gift exchange.