Thursday, October 28, 2004

Historical Look Back

I'm sitting here at my desk, thinking back on what happened on this day last year....

On this day last year, my sweet loving husband (then exboyfriend. That's right, you heard me) had already finished with harvest and chisel plowing. All except for one "small" strip of land. (I say small, because it's small in relation to the rest of the land that he owns/works. But in reality, it's quite a chunk of land.) On this day last year, he was chisel plowing his proposal to me in that strip of land.

I myself, was probably working at Pier1 and most likely was scheming up some sort of plan with my friend Cesar to make him jealous when I am back there for my cousin's wedding. Maybe I should talk about how great my new -all be it ficticious- boyfriend was. Or maybe I should bring someone along to act as my boyfriend....

Little did I know that he had a little scheming going on of his own. (Which really is a miracle in itself y'all. He never plans anything. He comes from the land of non-commitment.) Although signs were there that something was a'brewin', I didnt' have a clue, and didn't notice the signs until the proposal was in full swing.

I remember my wise friend Cesar telling me, "He's going to propose. What are you going to do if he proposes?!" And I remember telling him, "No way, he won't be doing that. And if he does I'll say no!" The reason for this crazy logic was because I had assumed that if the "creep" DID propose it'd be in some bad way such as proposing to me over diner or something uneventful. I just thought, at this point, since we're broken, and I he had not spoken to me about a. missing me, b. still loving me, or most importantly c. getting back together because he can't live without me, that there is nothing he could or would be willing to say to me to make me feel like I should marry him. Again, he surprised me there too. Although, to this day I only remember snipets of what he said to me in that airplane. I was completely taken off gaurd by what he said, and did that day. Shock and surprise sure do strange things to you. (like vomiting) I keep asking him to write it down for me, but he has not done that yet, and I suppose by the time I nag him enough to write it down, he'll have forgotten himself.

Anywho, back to my point. At this time last year, Darin was writing those famous words in his field, and probably causing himself an ulser worrying about what I'd say in two days. While I was sitting at my desk, worrying about being late for my flight.

Funny how fate always brings things together, even when you think things are completely over.
If it's meant to be, fate will eventually find a way. You can fight it, and prolong it. And probably cause yourself more heartache, but if it's meant to be it's going to be. Whether you want it to or not.

Sigh.... I love my husband. I'm so lucky to have him. (As he is me!!!) Boy, is that a change over from what I thought about him last year at this time! ha!