Thursday, December 14, 2006

Reasons Why I Don't Answer My Phone

I HATE checking my voicemail.  I'm not sure why, but I do.  I'm sure the people that call me are aware of this but I thought I'd bring it up.  I have not checked my voicemail since Thanksgiving.  I have messages from my Dad, and an old family friend I haven't talked to in years.  I hate going through them.  I just got done going through the messages on my cell, now I have to go through them on my office phone.  Yulk.  Those are even worse.  I hate that blinking light.  I just recently learned how to turn off the blinking light without going through the messages, so I've been doing that.  I bet I have at least 5 messages built up since Monday.  Which is the last time I checked my work voicemail.  
 
I know, people wouldn't leave me messages if I would just answer my phone.  But here's the thing...
 
I like silence.  It may not seem that way when we hang out, but when I am at home, relaxing or being crafty, I like silence.  And so, when I am into the silence, I sometimes turn my phone off.  Besides, I have to rest up for next time we see eachother and hang out.
 
Other times, I just don't hear it ring.  And that is the truth! 
 
There are a couple people I avoid from time to time, but really, for the most part, I don't avoid any of my "good" friends. 
 
I also don't like to talk on my phone for a long time while I'm in public (I.e. the mall, waiting for an oil change, getting my hair cut).  So I have, on occasion not picked up a call from someone because I know we'll talk for a long time. 
 
One more reason I may not pick up my phone is if I'm with someone.  If I'm out shopping with a friend, having dinner, etc I might not pick up a call from another friend, because for some reason I think that's rude to do.  I especially won't pick it up if I know it's going to be a long conversation. Which brings us back to a reason I've already mentioned.
 
I also don't answer my cell phone during work hours.  My personal things are in a drawer, and if my phone rings, a. I Don't usually hear it, and b.  If I do hear it, it's usually a solicitor.  c.  Most of the people I want to talk to, are at work as well d.  If it is someone I want to talk to, I don't like talking personally with friends while at my desk because my office area is litterally a cave, and the 7 people in the cave with me can hear everything I say, no matter how quiet I speak.
 
Oh, and one last thing, my battery dies about once a day, although fully charged, so I have to buy a new battery.  Which I'll likely be doing soon since I got that nice bonus.