Thursday, January 24, 2008

Princess of Power!

That's me! Sherah, Princess of Power!

This morning's temperature, negative 16 degrees. Yep. NEGATIVE 16. When I crawled out of bed, the temperature in my house was 64. I usually keep the gauge at 70. So... The heater was out. AGAIN. For the THIRD FUCKING TIME THIS YEAR!!! DJ came into the house after his overnight shift, and complained to me about it. So I asked him if he was going to clean out the intake valve. He said no because he thought the heater was dead, and that we'd have to call maintenance.

Back story. (This is the stupidest frickin' thing to ever exist up here.) My heater has an intake valve that is kept on the outside of the house. When the heater kicks in, it has to take in air from the outside. The air is damp. And cold. And guess what happens with that intake valve in freezing temperatures? Or how about what, happens to that in sub-zero temperatures for many many days straight? FREEZES THE FRICK UP. DJ and I have been taking turns chiseling the ice off the stupid thing. Just yesterday, he had chiseled it off.

Back to today. When I left for work, I heard the heater trying to kick in. So I went in and chiseled out the stupid intake valve. After stabbing at the stupid thing for a few times, POOF! I got a face full of ice. And then I saw the outlet valve steaming up. I had fixed the heater problem! I came in and checked the vents. It was running! I am Sherah! Princess of Power! Who needs a man?! I didn't check the pilot light though. So maybe it was just blowing cold air. But I didn't care. The maintenance man was coming anyway. He could figure that stuff out. I at least got it blowing.