Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Where Did My Ankles Go?

Last night I decided I needed to clip my toe nails. Well... I couldn't get to them to clip them. It was actually a pretty funny site. I felt the most like a weeble wobble that I have so far in this experience. I was in the chair, trying to grab my foot with one hand, while holding the clippers in the other. I never did get close enough to clip them. Let along get close enough to them for long enough time to remove and reapply polish.

I then asked my loving husband to please do it for me. I suspect that you know his response. "Heck no!". So today, after my Dr. Apt. I decided to go across the street to the Asian Nail place. They were busy, so I headed home. Then realized there was a salon near by, and decided to stop in and see if I could get in right away. They could. And I got an English speaker, so it was fun. This is when I found myself apologizing for being so disgusting right off the bat with a person who doesn't know me. Then I removed my shoes. OMG! I knew my ankles were getting fatter, but I didn't realize I was turning into the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man's sister. My foot was all rounded out like it just ate a ham, and my ankle knuckles were no where to be found. Of course she told me that it didn't matter because she'd seen much worse, and that at least I had a reason. I am very pregnant. This made me better, but I still apologized to her about twice more.

OK. Here is a question for you. What do you think? I spent $60 (including tip) on this pedicure. Here is what I got.
  1. A really cute English speaking girl, which was fun because we talked the whole time about funny stuff and it made the time go by faster
  2. A very much needed exfoliant
  3. I also got a special lotion that is supposed to take my cankle swellage down a notch or two.
  4. I didn't get a cool massage chair to sit in.
  5. I didn't get a super cool massage on my calves.
  6. I did get a very much needed exfoliant
  7. I also got a special lotion that is supposed to take my cankle swellage down a notch or two.
  8. Total time spent in spa: 1 Hour

The place I normally go costs me $35 (including tip). What I get

  1. A non English speaker, who usually speaks to her partner the whole time while I read a magazine
  2. The cool massager chair that amuses me for about 5 minutes before I have to turn it off.
  3. The latest gossip magazines to read through while the Asian speakers talk amongst themselves.
  4. A calf massage
  5. A hot towel/steam bath for my calves
  6. Total time spent in store: 1 1/2 to 2 hours

So which one should I go back to? I really liked being able to talk to my girl, but obviously didn't like the cost. If I only get a pedicure every 3 months or so, is it really that harmful if I fork over $60 for it?

Oh, BTW DJ thinks I paid $30 for this pedicure because that's what I told him I spent on the first one. I didn't correct him when I said, "look at my pretty feet!" and he said, "That's all they do for $30?!" I just said, "But they're pretty, and you didn't have to do anything to them." Then the convo went to how huge my cankles were, and we digressed from there.