Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ahh...The Good Ole Days

I'm still unpacking. We have everything moved out of my storage unit now, so it's only a matter of time before I get through all my boxes. I actually think I only have two or three more to go through, then it's a matter of getting everything put away somewhere. It's actually been pretty fun. A while ago, I posted that it was just like shopping but without having to spend the money. Kai asked me what I had found. So I decided to take a few pictures.

Once upon a time, when a little company named Pier 1 had all these cool employees working for them, and they were doing well in sales, they allowed the priveledged home office workers to have an bi-annual sample sale. This meant that you could get great imported things for super cheap. For example, any candle bigger than a pop can was fifty cents, and anything smaller than a pop can was a quarter. Anyone that buys candles knows that a good candle the size of a pop can retails for at least $15. So this was a super fun time. The whole office would plan to be there early. My firest year, I think Kai and I got up around 6 to be there for when the doors opened at 8:00, and we were still quite a ways away from the front door. (Supsequent years later, I got to shop the day before because I was part of the merchandising team.)

When the doors opened it was a mad dash for goods. You'd grab anything you thought you might like and throw it into your bags. I got a lot of great furniture for cheap. Here are some of the little things I got too.

These are cool candles, but I have no idea where I thought I'd put them in my place. Now, maybe I can use them in my guest bathroom or something.I


I love this thing. This actually was in my bedroom at my last place, but I thought I'd take a picture anyway. I think this was one of those things I found that no one else wanted or something, and I picked it up for fifty cents. I think it'll go in my formal living room once I get furniture for it.


This is one of those things I forgot all about having, and when I unwrapped it I was excited! It's a candleholder, and it will look great next to my downstairs fireplace.

This is a great score because, although I hate dead flowers (OK they are dried, but same thing to me.) I need something to brighten my upstairs bathroom, and I decided I'd do this with red accents. This will work! And I didn't have to spend any money! (OK, maybe it was a dollar or something at one point in time.)Once upon a time I thought I'd use these as trivets in my kitchen. My kitchen was going to be red and black. Now I don't know what I'll use these for. Maybe I will sell them on ebay. They are solid wrought iron. I also have two red candles that would go nicely. Maybe I'll sell them as a package deal.Funny. There are no bugs in Texas. So why the heck did I pick these citronella candles up? Humm... don't have a clue. Like I said, you just grab things sometimes. But now I will be taking them to the lake and burning them like crazy all around me.

I don't know. I grabbed these candleholders because they were cute and thought I'd use them as a gift for someone sometime. Now that I've found them again, I might use them in the baby's room for something. The biggest one is about 3 inches tall. I'm sure they'll get destoyed pretty quickly if I do that, but oh well, they were cheap anyway.