Today at lunch I decided to run some errands. They were actually planned to be run after work, but then I realized that I had scheduled a Happy Hour for my work people. And I can't very well not show up to the Happy Hour that I planned! (Even though I might still wind up not showing. I have a phone interview. But more on that later. Consider it a teaser to stay tooned.)
Anyway. I'm in the Fabric Store, and looking at thread to match the material my cousin picked out for her bridesmaid dresses. There is another lady in the isle. I have to ask her to move, becasue she is in front of the purples, and I need purples! So I politely say excuse me. She moves. Then I start talking to her because I needed her opinion on thread. So she helps me pick my thread, then she asked my advise on her thread. Then she asked what I was making, which I totally love, because everyone is so impressed because I'm so young, and blah blah blah. (Even though, this impressed because I am young and crafty is dwindling because I am getting old.) So after I tell her, she asks my advise on some things she is working on. So I give it. It felt so good to help someone out. I love it when fellow Islers are not bitches. Sometimes you get a bitch and all you really want to do is follow her to her car and kick her ass or slash her tires. If I were that type of person anyway.
Then off to the Post Office. I'm standing at the Package Kiosk, finishing up my transaction when an older lady walks up behind me. I get done, turn around, smile at her, and go on with my business. Then she asks me, "is there a scale in this place?" All she needed to do was weigh an envelope to make sure she had enough postage. So I said, "not that I know of, but this machine can tell you if you, then all you have to do is cancel before it gets to the checkout screen." So I show her how to use the machine. She says to me, "Thank you, I've been wanting to try this machine but was scared to without anyone around to help me." So then I told her how easy the machine is, and how it asks you questions about your package, so you really can't make a mistake. And even if you do, you have the option to start over. So she was happy, thanked me again, and we went on our merry way. I helped an older lady learn a new piece of technology. And now, because of me, she won't have to stand in those long lines anymore.
I walked out feeling pretty good about myself. Turned on my Kenny Rogers, "Islands in the Stream" duet with Dolly, and headed back to work. Life is good when you help others.