Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Jimmy

Those that know me well, know that I am an office supply freak. I love anything to do with office supplies. Folders, sticky notes, highlighters.... You get me into Office Depot or Staples and I'll want one of everything. (This is also why I collected so much crap at the last conference that I was at.) Anyway, back to my point. Yesterday I finally used up one of my notepads from Pier 1. There they gave you notebooks that had your information on them. (They were really nice. I still have a box that I'm working through.) Instead of grabbing another P1 notebook, I decided to dig out some notebooks I had in a box that I found while cleaning up the storage unit. I'm digging through this box, and I come across a little green notebook with penguins on it.

I remember buying this notebook in Middle School at some book fair. (Did I also mention that I love bran new books? I know. I'm sort of a freak. And a geek at times. But a cool geek none the less.) Anyway. I decide it's time to use this notebook. I hadn't used it much when I bought it, because I liked it so much I didn't want it to run out. Makes perfect sense right? Plus, not just anyone could get a note from me on this note pad. Only special friends did.

So I pull out the pad, and on the back is a number to a guy named Jimmy. Think he still has the same number? Maybe I should call it. Well, I remember Jimmy. He was this hot football player that I met one day at school. In High School. I think it was sophomore year and he was a senior. He'd flirt with me, and walk me to class, but I always just ignored it because "As if! Like a totally hot football player would really be interested in a sophomore bank geek!" One day, he asked for my number, and I told him I'd call him. So I wrote his number down on the back of my little penguin pad. (Obviously he was SO special, that he needed to be written on the back of this "favorite" pad. So you see, I had this pad in my backpack even in HS.)

I remember talking to him on the phone almost nightly for a long time. I never went out with him because I didn't really think he liked me, nor did I really trust senior football players alone. Then he graduated, and the following year I'd run into him while he was back on campus for one thing or another. He still remembered me. Now that I look back. Maybe he really did like me. Who knows. He was hot though. Too bad I don't have a picture of him. Actually, maybe it's good I don't have a picture of him, because I'm sure my memories photo is much better than what the actual one would be anyway.