Thursday, February 08, 2007

Now that I have a little time, I thought I'd update you on my heat situation, and Jax.

First. Negative 16 here today. Yep. A balmy nego 16. Wow. I should get out my bathing suit and sunbath on my deck. I came home yesterday at 2:00 to take Jax to the doctor. Luckily my heat was on. Woo hoo! (For now. I'm pretty skeptical that it will stay fixed. Time will tell.) I did wake up at 4:00 because I was having a dream that the maintenance man was checking out something in my cupboards and he kept slamming the door, opening it, slamming it. He did this four times before I woke up and realized that it was Jax thumping in her cage. So I laid there worrying that if I got up I might see something I don't want to see. When I mustered up enough courage to go into the living room, I noticed that the temp had fallen two degrees below where I set it. And no heat was running. So that ticked me off because I thought, "Here we go again! Bastards." After I tended to Jax, I layer in bed stewing in anger about my heat situation. Then after bout 20 minutes of this, the heat kicked on. I got up and felt it. It was warm. So I stopped being ticked. - For now.

Now on to the saga of bunny.

If you don't want to read a long post, here is the short:

  • Took her to vet
  • Got meds
  • Little bit of poop, but not much yet. Still hoping.

For those of you who like details, here is the long:
She wasn't very energetic when I picked her up at 2:00 to go to the doctor. The vet wound up giving her an IV of something to help her hydrate. (Right in the back. Ouch!) There must have been something in there to make her feel better too, because on our way home, she was already a little uplifted and playing with her rolly-ball. The vet gave me two different medications. One is an antibiotic and the other is something to help her not have an upset stomach. She also told me I have to feed Jax all this:

  • 2 - 4oz jars of baby veggie food spread out into 3-4 times a day.
  • 1 tbsp (5 syringes full) of pineapple juice twice a day. Which turns out to be (10 syringes full!!!)
  • 2-3 tbsp (10-15 syringes full) of water a day.

Do your realize how much food that is for a little tiny bunny?! Last night I only gave her 1/2 the pineapple juice and then the water. This morning as I was stuffing her full of baby food, I could hear her tummy all girbly and glupy as I fed her. I stopped after 4 syringes and said that was close enough. I only could feed her 2 syringes of pineapple juice because she refused to swallow anymore after a while. I felt like I was just pumping her full of stuff and she was going to explode if I kept going! For those of you who don't know. Rabbits graze all day long. They don't binge on tons of food at a time. I'm going to have to call the vet on my way home at lunch to see if this is actually right. It seems like way too much.

She was starting to eat a little bit on her own last night. I didn't see her drink any water yet though. :o( Last night she did poop a little, but not enough to put her in the clear. :o( I'm hoping now that I pumped her full of liquids that she has a big ole pile of poop waiting for me when I get there at noon. Who knew I'd ever be hoping for her poo to make an appearance.