Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happiest Place in the World

In the issue of Self Magazine that hit stands today, Fargo-Moorehead was named the Happiest two Cities for Women. Isn't that interesting? Aren't you girlfriends jealous? I get to live here, and you don't. Nah nah nah nah boo boo! I totally feel the envy as you continue to read through this post. There's no need for you to hide it. I already know.

As I was waiting in line to get to the condiment tray at Qdoba, right there, on the front page of the Fargo Forum was this headline, "So, Are you Happy?". "Why yes I am", I replied to my inner self. Why wouldn't I be? I had a huge ass burrito in my hand, it wasn't windy outside, and it was up to a whole 56 degrees!

Who the heck knew that these people were actually happy up here. Then I thought to myself. Well, I'm actually about 95% happy, so I guess it is possible.

I posted the article here so you don't have to follow a link.


So, Are You Happy?

By Erin Hemme Froslie
The Forum - 11/21/2006
Smile, women of Fargo-Moorhead.

In the issue that hits stands today, Self magazine names the two cities the happiest in the nation.

Low crime rates, low unemployment and short commutes are among the top reasons editors at the popular women’s health and fitness magazine declared our community a nirvana of sorts. Because of its size, residents also get to know each other, and families tend to stay nearby.

“Having a sense of community and a sense of belonging is very important to feeling happy,” said Jessica Kaster,
a psychologist at Lakeland Mental Health Center in Moorhead who is quoted in the magazine package. “If you need support, you can find it here.”

Area women we talked to agree with the findings in Self, which boasts more than 5 million readers.

Happiest cities
1. Fargo-Moorhead
2. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas
3. Nassau-Suffolk Counties, N.Y.
4. New Haven-Meriden, Conn.
5. Boston

Unhappiest cities
1. Las Vegas
2. Sarasota-Bradenton, Fla.
3. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
4. Salt Lake City-Ogden, Utah
5. Jacksonville, Fla.