Happy Post Thanksgiving everyone! I hope your Thanksgiving was everything you wanted it to be and more. Mine on the other hand was less than stellar. I woke up at 9:00am highly motivated to clean and cook/bake all day. Are you ready to hear what I did? OK. Here goes.
All was well until about noon, I had cleaned my bathroom, rolled the meatballs, cleaned jax's cage, and decided to work on Saturday's Crab Salad before I vacuumed. So I whip out my handy dandy QVC Pro Chopper Plus. Bran new and fresh out of the box (After washing out of course). I blend the onions & peppers together, and then decide to get all fancy. (Do you see where this is headed yet?) I decide that since I have all these fancy slicing blades, that I'm going to cut my carrots differently. I am going to slice them instead of chopping them. So here I go. One baby carrot in hand. Slice. Slice. What the?! Thumb goes to my mouth. Oh my God DJ! I just sliced off the tip of my thumb! Shit. shit. shit. Then I feel the blood in my mouth. It's not just few layers of skin. It's like my whole tip of my thumb! So I run to the bathroom and hang my thumb over the toilet expecting to see a bone. Couldn't see anything through the blood pouring out into my toilet. So I grab some TP, wad it onto the tip of my thumb and stand there with my thumb higher than my heart. (I think I read this somewhere that if you do this it helps slow the bloodflow or something.) So DJ walks in to look at me. I take the TP off to show him, and blood is still gooshing. So I grab a fresh batch of TP and look at him. What do we do? Do we go to the ER and get stitches? Not like you could stich on the tip of a thumb, but maybe they can do something. So we decide to wait and see if it clots on it's own.
We go back to inspect the salad. Somewhere in there, my thumb tip is sitting. Luckily it never made it into the salad. It was still sitting on the blade. We dump out the ingredients anyway, and start over. DJ at the helm this time because I'm still spewing blood. What would have taken me 10 minutes tops to make, it took DJ 30 minutes. At the end of the 30 minutes. I'm still bleeding away. So we decide to go to the ER to get them to stop the bleeding. We find a walk-in clinic and head out. Luckily, there is no one waiting and we get right in. The nurse took my blood pressure, which I think was stupid because of course my blood pressure is going to be high because I just lopped off my thumb! It was something like 148 over 180. The doctor comes in and tells me he has to numb my thumb before he can stop the bleeding. So I'm like, "Sounds good to me!" He takes out a needle, and proceeds to shove it in my thumb. TWICE (That I know of) Yowza! This is the most pain I have ever felt at a doctors office. I have a pretty high threshhold for pain, and my whole body tensed up, and I almost screamed. I was so happy when the numbing kicked in. Then he applied some sort of acid to my finger to stop it from bleeding. My fingertip is black, but I don't care. It stopped bleeding and I could go home and enjoy my meatballs. The doctor said that it'll take about 3-4 weeks for me to start generating new skin.
My thumb is still throbbing today.
One interesting thing, is when I told the doctor what I did, he brought up that it could be a lawsuit. TWICE. WTF? Why is a doctor suggesting to me that I sue? Aren't they the most sued people in America right now? Anyway, as soon as I am able (mentally that is) to change out the bandage, I'll post a picture. It's not as bad as I've described now that it's all clean and not bleeding. But I'm definitely missing some thumb!


All was well until about noon, I had cleaned my bathroom, rolled the meatballs, cleaned jax's cage, and decided to work on Saturday's Crab Salad before I vacuumed. So I whip out my handy dandy QVC Pro Chopper Plus. Bran new and fresh out of the box (After washing out of course). I blend the onions & peppers together, and then decide to get all fancy. (Do you see where this is headed yet?) I decide that since I have all these fancy slicing blades, that I'm going to cut my carrots differently. I am going to slice them instead of chopping them. So here I go. One baby carrot in hand. Slice. Slice. What the?! Thumb goes to my mouth. Oh my God DJ! I just sliced off the tip of my thumb! Shit. shit. shit. Then I feel the blood in my mouth. It's not just few layers of skin. It's like my whole tip of my thumb! So I run to the bathroom and hang my thumb over the toilet expecting to see a bone. Couldn't see anything through the blood pouring out into my toilet. So I grab some TP, wad it onto the tip of my thumb and stand there with my thumb higher than my heart. (I think I read this somewhere that if you do this it helps slow the bloodflow or something.) So DJ walks in to look at me. I take the TP off to show him, and blood is still gooshing. So I grab a fresh batch of TP and look at him. What do we do? Do we go to the ER and get stitches? Not like you could stich on the tip of a thumb, but maybe they can do something. So we decide to wait and see if it clots on it's own.
We go back to inspect the salad. Somewhere in there, my thumb tip is sitting. Luckily it never made it into the salad. It was still sitting on the blade. We dump out the ingredients anyway, and start over. DJ at the helm this time because I'm still spewing blood. What would have taken me 10 minutes tops to make, it took DJ 30 minutes. At the end of the 30 minutes. I'm still bleeding away. So we decide to go to the ER to get them to stop the bleeding. We find a walk-in clinic and head out. Luckily, there is no one waiting and we get right in. The nurse took my blood pressure, which I think was stupid because of course my blood pressure is going to be high because I just lopped off my thumb! It was something like 148 over 180. The doctor comes in and tells me he has to numb my thumb before he can stop the bleeding. So I'm like, "Sounds good to me!" He takes out a needle, and proceeds to shove it in my thumb. TWICE (That I know of) Yowza! This is the most pain I have ever felt at a doctors office. I have a pretty high threshhold for pain, and my whole body tensed up, and I almost screamed. I was so happy when the numbing kicked in. Then he applied some sort of acid to my finger to stop it from bleeding. My fingertip is black, but I don't care. It stopped bleeding and I could go home and enjoy my meatballs. The doctor said that it'll take about 3-4 weeks for me to start generating new skin.
My thumb is still throbbing today.
One interesting thing, is when I told the doctor what I did, he brought up that it could be a lawsuit. TWICE. WTF? Why is a doctor suggesting to me that I sue? Aren't they the most sued people in America right now? Anyway, as soon as I am able (mentally that is) to change out the bandage, I'll post a picture. It's not as bad as I've described now that it's all clean and not bleeding. But I'm definitely missing some thumb!

The culprit.
The wound. (My finger is white because of the bandaid.)