After I finished with DJs laundry, I decided to stop over to my Grandma’s and see what she was up to. My cousin, my aunt, and she were fixin’ to watch a movie, so I decided to stick around. I hung out with them for a couple of hours.
Hint #1 that something was going on: I call him around 3:30 to see what he’s up to, if he wants me to come out there, or what. So he tells me that he thinks he’ll quit around 5:00, and maybe we can go to dinner or something. This is weird because he NEVER quits working this early during harvest season. Especially since it was so nice out. He tells me he’ll call me when he decides to head into town. So I say, “OK” and we hang up.
Hint #2 that something was going on: He calls me at 5:01pm. He NEVER calls me exactly when he says he’s going to call. Usually he calls me 30 minutes, 40 minutes, an hour later than he tells me. So when he called. I knew for sure something was in the works.
Hint #3 that something was going on: Once he gets home, and cleaned up, he’s already ready to get out of the house and off to dinner. It was only 5:38! He doesn’t eat that early. In fact, he’s always giving me crap for being hungry around 6:00. So I just KNEW that people were waiting for us at the restaurant.
We get to the restaurant, where I am expecting to see my family sitting at a table. Instead, I see my 3 girlfriends from the Cities! I was so excited! I almost cried. I was so excited (and a little embarrassed at the same time, since the Big W is not very exciting this time of year. I wasn’t sure if they’d have any fun or not). So we ate dinner and headed out on the bustling town. Ok. (Maybe we were the only people out.)
One thing I wasn’t expecting was for DJ to organize getting my cousins and have them gather at the Legion. Usually in a small town, we all wind up drinking together anyway. So I was expecting to see some of them anyway. But turns out, he made sure to call everyone and have them come out. I had a blast. It was so much fun having Jordan, Sara, and Charlotte around again. I could post a whole separate blog on just that topic. I have a feeling my in-laws saw a whole new side to me!
Now, I KNOW for a FACT that Jordan had a good time, and I am somewhat sure Sara and Charlotte did as well. Like I said, not much to do in a small town but sit around and drink. And drink we did! Especially me. A girl who’s breaking out a new decade of life can’t turn down drink that were bought for her. Who knows when a man other than her husband will buy her a drink again? Probably never actually.
Anywho, I had a blast! It was the best birthday gift a girl could ever get from her closest friends! The gift of them! What they don’t know is how much I really loved seeing them. I can’t even try to put it into words. I’m very happy that they decided to risk their lives in someone’s silver bullet, just to come little ole Podunkville me. Thanks Sara and Charlotte for leaving your babies to come see little ole me. (ephasis on the ole now) My husband is also super fabulous, because he actually spent some time helping to coordinate this, and he's been working 18 hour days to get his crop in. I feel very blessed to have such good people to call my friends!
Oh yeah, stay tuned for photos from the evening too!