Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Maximizing Time On Earth

I was browsing through new blogs that have been showing up in my RSS Feed. I ran across this guys blog, Steve Pavalia - Personal Development for Smart People, and he had an article on the very thing that I've been seriously discussing with myself for several months now. I've never been one to think Money and Fame are the only the end all be all of whether or not a person has had a good life, but I have always been a driven person. Personally, professionally, and spiritually. Sometimes being driven also causes a person to miss out on the fine details. I'm working on enjoying those fine details and recognizing them for the sensation they really are.

Here is his post:
We've been socially conditioned to value accomplishments and events more than everyday experiences. Graduation day is more important than some random Tuesday in the middle of the semester. The day you get hired or promoted is more important than an uneventful work day. Your wedding day is more important than the day you saw a forgettable movie.

Accomplishments and events are certainly experiences too, but most experiences don't qualify as either. You'll likely spend most of your life experiencing non-events. It would be amazing if your accomplishments amounted to even 1% of your experiences. Saturation tends to reduce the occurrence of salient events. The time you spoke your first intelligible word was a major accomplishment, but speaking that same word isn't such a grand achievement today. Regardless of how much you accomplish in your lifetime, you'll probably still perceive most of your days as typical, normal, or routine.

If you're going to spend most of your time experiencing rather than accomplishing, then perhaps it makes sense to focus on the quality of your daily experiences and not merely on the heights of your accomplishments. It's nice to have a truly fantastic day where you accomplish something wonderful, but what about your normal days?

When you realize most of your life will be consumed by normal days rather than extraordinary ones, you may feel motivated to raise the overall quality of these normal days.

In the pursuit of a better normal day, here are ten changes I made that yielded strong positive results. Hopefully this list will trigger some ideas you'll be able to apply as well. The overall concept is far more important than my particular menu of habits. (Click the link above to read his 10 Changes)

So my challenge to all of my readers. What are you going to maximize your time here on earth?
I have a list, but I've decided not to post it.