Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy May Day

So up north they celebrate May Day. (That's today.) It has something to do with something. OK, I don't remember the meaning, but I do remember when I was little making baskets out of paper, filling them full of toys and goodies, and doorbell ditching them on friends doors. It was a lot of fun!

Well, today my Director gave us gum at all of our desks. It was sweet. May Day is also my managers favorite day of the year. Interesting because it's meaning has roots of something sex related I believe. Maybe I better look it up and get back to you....

**One of the most popularly known May Day traditions is to hang a basket full of spring flowers and/or other small gifts on a neighbor's doorknob. The trick is you don't want the neighbor to see you! If you get caught, you are supposed to get a kiss.**

**A popular activity on May Day is to decorate a pole with brightly colored ribbon or paper streamers. Some also add flowers and balloons. The pole is usually carried in a parade and then placed in the ground at a designated area. People then dance around the May pole, holding the ends of the streamers or ribbon in their hands.** This is the phalic part. I think the pole planting has something to do with fertility and stuff.

**in medieval and modern Europe, holiday (May 1) for the celebration of the return of spring. The observance probably originated in ancient agricultural rituals, and the Greeks and Romans held such festivals.**