Thursday, April 27, 2006

Day Two

My traveling partner, Steve. Let me tell you a little about Steve. Last night at our wine reception in the hotel lobby (I know, I was really roughing it on this trip) he informs me that he can’t find his debit card. Last he can remember, he used it in the hotel restaurant. So I tell him to go ask the manager of the restaurant. (Please note, we are standing outside said restaurant as I say this.) He then proceeds to tell me that although he just discovered this on his way back to the hotel from buying tickets to a musical this evening, he has already called and canceled the card. He told me, “I just didn’t want to think about it anymore.” So, I’m like, “ok”. Thinking to myself, that I would first try if the hotel restaurant had it before canceling, therefore resulting in my inability to get cash for the rest of my trip. But since I am not Steve. Well… you get it.

So then, while we are standing in line to order dinner at this Italian restaurant that is sort of like Corner Bakery meets Panera Bread he asks me, “Can I borrow some cash from you for tonight? I hate to ask, but since I lost my card, and the musical’s vendors usually only accept cash for souvenirs…” So I say, “No problem. After all, I know where you work.” So then he tells me he’ll reimburse me for my ATM fee too for when I have to take out more cash for myself later. I tell him this is not necessary, but thank you. So we eat dinner, and part ways.

This morning, I call to see how he intends to checkout. Express through the tv, or if he was going to do it at the front desk. He sounded groggy, and I quickly realized he was still sleeping. So I slowly gathered my things and headed to the lobby. I checked out, and this very good looking bellman asked me, very politely of course, if I needed transportation. So I smiled my best, "I'm available smile - knee jerk reaction to a hot person speaking to me, and said, "yes, but I was waiting for a colleague". He then took my luggage. -This was embarrassing since my luggage is old and falling apart. I no longer have a handle for rolling it conveniently down the street.- Then I took a seat to wait for my colleague. The hot bellman came up to me and asked if I liked tea. Thinking he was going to offer me a cup, and knowing I was going to have to lug my bags around, I said no. He then just looked at me and smiled. So I smiled back. (Hoping I looked cute. Again, knee jerk reaction. but hey! I'm married not dead) He then said he was sad because he was going to suggest some new teas for me to take with. I instantly regretted saying no, because I'd like some new tea's to try. :(

When Steve finally comes down to the lobby, he has his shoes in his hand, a bag full of stuff from the musical, his computer bag, and then his rolling suitcase. I find this a little big much since we will be boarding a plane. And knowing that I don’t like to carry a bunch of crap around with me when I fly, I know this is going to cause me strife later in the day. Which it does. First, let me also mention that because I was the first one to the lobby, I got the taxi to the seminar. I also paid for said taxi upon our arrival. I also paid for the second taxi that got us to the airport. At lunch today, we went to Potbelly’s. This restaurant was so busy, I was just in a hurry to pay and leave. I forgot to get a receipt. If you don’t get a receipt, you can’t be reimbursed for your food spending. So I asked Steve if I could just photo copy his to show proof of the expenditure, and he suggested to me that I go back to the restaurant and ask them to print me up a receipt. Now which one sounds easier to you? Copying the receipt to show for your records, or going all the way back to the restaurant? Well, I didn’t go back to the restaurant, and I am reporting that I ate there anyway. If Steve doesn’t let me copy his receipt then I’ll just turn it in without.

Where was I? Oh yes, security point at the airport. Remember, he’s got all of this shit with him. We have to take off said shit to go through the checkpoint. I am so glad that I am an organized human being, which prepares for upcoming tasks ahead of time. I took my laptop out of my bag, I took off my flip flops, put them in a tub with my ONE bag which holds my laptop and doubles as a purse, and went through security. Do you think I had any issues? Do you think it took me long to get my things back together? No. How long do you think it took Steve? Mind you, we do have ample time to get to our gate. It was just interesting to me how unprepared he was for the situation. He really should have thought ahead and packed his suitcase better. He would have had less to hassle with while roaming through the airport. Then, I mentioned previously that Steve and other Septorenites (I made that word up, I like it! CR, does this count as a point? Maybe ½ a point at least) seem to speed walk to their destinations. And I gues I have been told that I am a speedy walker from time to time as well, but only if I need to be. When I have time, I take my time. So he starts to jet off. So I decide I’m just going to take my own pace, and let him run off. This was a better for me than the first time around. I no longer am going to run to keep up with a speedy walker unless I have to.

Did I mention that he also fell asleep in the cab ride to the airport? He didn't even have manors to try and hold a conversation with me for that short time that we shared a cab. But by then I gave up on polite chit chat.

I don’t really want to sound bitchy. Steve seems like a very nice guy. Just not as put together as I would have thought for the age that he is. He seems to be uneasy with himself and his surroundings. This once again reaffirms how grateful, glad, and thankful to God that I am happy with the person I am today.

All in all, it was a pretty good trip. I learned stuff on the second day of our seminar, I roamed an unknown city all alone in the dark, and survived being hit on by a creepy man, and at the end of the evening, I even gave a “homeless” man my change. (Even though he’s probably going to spend it on booze, or take it his million dollar home and place it along with all the other millions he’s collected throughout the day in a safe and go to bed in his $1000 sheet set.)

Oh, and one more thing! The guy I sat next to on the way home worked for Haagen-Das Ice Cream, he gave me free coupons for icecream! Woo hoo! Life is good.