I think I've mentioned a few times about how my new office is very quiet. Like VERY VERY Quiet. Not really my whole office, just my area. My team is only 8 people, and we sit in the back corner. It's like we have our own little world. We actually call it the "Web Cave". My team members are all very quiet usually. Every once in a while someone will say something, and we will all chime in for a minute, but then it dies back to silence.
I on the other hand, can't stand silence in the work place. It makes me tired and bored. I'm not a chatterbox at work. But if I didn't have my radio I'd really be hating life. I have to turn my radio almost all the way to zero so it's not heard outside of my cube (And therefore anoying my coworkers who like it quiet.) This poses a problem because in the morning I listen to talk radio, and I can't hear what they are saying. Then the music comes on and it's very loud. Although no one has said anything to me, I have a sneaking feeling I'm being talked about when I'm gone.
So, I went out and bought headphones. Although it's taking some getting used to, I'm totally diggin' it. I can crank up my morning talk shows and actually hear them! Woo hoo! It's great. Then in the afternoon, when i'm not listening to talk, I just listen to it like normal. The silence really gets to me some days. That's about the only thing I miss about my old job. There, we were more like a bunch of friends, not coworkers. Which I'm sure is part of the reason why the place was managed so crapily. But at least the days went by fast because you were with your friends. Here, they are all just co-workers. :o( I guess you always make trade offs when you change jobs.