Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Idiots and the City

So a friend of mine emailed me something hilarious when I told her I was moving to Fargo. Please note, she is from Alaska, which is why I find her note especially amusing:

“You know, I am now going to have to end my three-year long crusade to convince people that North Dakota does not exist. I have never met anyone from there, and came to the conclusion that it was just a government farce to make us think there were 50 states, when there are really only 49. Then again, I won't believe it until I visit you and see for myself...”

Hilarious! As much as I would love this to be true, because then I wouldn’t have to live here, I have to say, alas. It is true. North Dakota really does exist. It’s actually turning out to be somewhat pretty. If you can get over the flatness of it all. And the subdegree freezing temperatures in the winters. The cold is starting to get better. Yesterday’s high was like 55 degrees out! I actually got into my car, and it was nice and toastie! And then this morning I was greated by a couple birds chirp chirp chirping outside on my balcony. They were quite orchidaceous. I have missed the warmth! I hope it comes back to me soon!

Now getting to the title of this here blog. Yesterday and the day prior, I had been trying to call this one Uhaul place in the Cities (For those of you who don’t know which cities, Minneapolis/Saint Paul are so close together they are called the Twin Cities. Actually, the only thing that separates them is the river.) So the dude is an idiot. Day one, he was “so busy he’d have to call me back”. He never called me back. Day two, I called for pricing, and after he went through a bunch of gibberish for just a price quote.

Me: “I am looking for a one way to Fargo”.
Him: “Ummm… Errr….. Is there another city near there?
Me: “No, that’s pretty much the big citie in Fargo.”
Him: “That’s North Dakota right?”
Me: “That’d be the one”.
Him: “Let me call you back, I messed something up in the system.”
Me: “OK,” Knowing that I won’t be called back, but I give him the benefit of the doubt.

That was at 9:00am. So I call back at 9:40 and get some woman. This makes me happy because I was hoping for someone else. You know, someone who knows what’s going on in the universe. So I first tell her, “I called this morning at Nine and got some guy that said he’d call me back because he screwed something up. That was fourty minutes ago, and I haven’t heard from him. So I am hoping you can shed some light.” Her: “ha ha ha! “ She is laughing entirely too hearily, “That would be Mike. What can I help you with?” So I tell her my story, and she starts to look it up.
Me: “I’m looking for a one way to Fargo”
Her: “Fargo… That’s in North Dakota right?”
Me: “Yes, Mike asked me that too. You guys really should know this stuff, the cities are not that far away, and ND is your neighboring state.”
Her: Again with the freakish laugh, “Well… I do know where Fargo is, I was just verifying.”

About this time I am thinking to myself. I’m going to go online and see if there are any other Fargo’s in this country. The answer? So far as I can find on the internet. This is the only Fargo.

Then she says, “Well, the only trailers we have need to come back to this location.”
Me: “Well, can you get one that I can take one way?”
Her: “I don’t know trailors, I just know trucks. You’d have to talk to Mike about the trailors. I’m just not too sure.
Me: “Well, he didn’t really seem to know much, so I was hoping to speak with someone who did.”
Her: Laughing way too heartily again. What? Does this happen all the time? These two are just two idiots in a pod or what? “Well, you could call the Coon Rapids Uhaul and see if they have some. Or I can have Mike call you back.”
Me: “Well, I suppose he could call me back, but I am still hanging on from yesterdays call back. Tell him to call me back then.”

Are you wondering???? No, he still has not called be back. Bastard. What idiots these people were. But before you or I write off doing business with the Uhaul people, I did call the Coon Rapids, Matt knew what was going on, booked me a trailor (The one I wanted and everything), and set up a reservation without any pain to me. I made sure to thank Matt for knowing what was going on with his Uhaul business, and told him how the Crystal location really had no clue. He just laughed, and said thank you.